Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It's My Top Secret Personal Beeswax ...

"It's my Top Secret Personal Beeswax .... doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo" .... it would help if you could actually hear the melody that accompanies these words. The tune, along with these first six words of the song, keep playing in my head as if on repeat! So, maybe it's best you can't hear the melody ... because then it would be replaying in your head too!

I think I was looking forward to this day more than my son. The minute I heard that his first grade class would be attending a Junie B. Jones musical/play, I promptly volunteered to chaperone! I didn't want to miss the chance to see a children's book adapted onto the stage!

I am quite aware of the Junie B. Jones character and have thumbed through several books ... but, I must admit, I haven't read through an entire story yet. Don't furrow your brow ... it's just because my son is at the age to be reading this type of book, and Junie B. Jones hasn't really been his thing. Now ... in a few years, when my daughter is in the first grade, I suspect Junie B. Jones might be a regular on our reading list! Actually ... after seeing today's play, it might be on my son's as well.

Theatreworks USA's production of Junie B. Jones' "Top Secret Personal Beeswax" gets an A+ from me. Yes, it's designed for Grades K-5, but what adult wouldn't be wowed by upbeat songs, fantastic choreography, endearing and hilarious characters (played by super-talented actors!), and a fantastic story line ... all packed into one hour?!

The challenges Junie B. Jones has to triumph over in her first grade year would make your head spin ... losing her best friend, Lucille, to Camille and Chenille (because their names all rhyme!); finding out she needs glasses; making friends with the new kid at school; dealing with Tuna Noodle Stinkle in the lunchroom; and not being able to compete in the kickball tournament due to a piggy toe injury! Oh my! Lucky for her, she can write it all down in her Top-Secret Personal Beeswax Journal.

It all makes for a very entertaining tale ... one with a wonderfully embedded message of how to deal with life's unexpected changes and new experiences in positive ways! And we all need to be reminded of how to do that every once in a while ... whether we're in first grade or ... well ... in our mid-to-late thirties! :-)

14 comments:

Kelly H-Y said...

Thank you, thank you, Blue, for the wonderful recommendation!!! And, thanks so much for visiting!

CC said...

Yep, I really need to read some of those. I think I already have some for the kids at home (given to me), but I should check them out 1st!

Unknown said...

Haven't read the Junie B. books, but I should....!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I'm positively in love with Junie B Jones. The books are just HILARIOUS and are always touching too.

When we went out west a few years ago on vacation, we took turns reading them aloud in the car. My littlest son was the age they were written for, but even my teenagers would ask, "Just one more chapter!"
Maybe they were desperately bored, but I don't think so. My husband and I loved them too!

Katie Anderson said...

that is just so cool! I remember when Junie's "Big Stinky Bus" came to Oxford and we saw her do a little improv at the bookstore. It was awesome!

Kelly H-Y said...

CC - I do the same thing ... gotta check them out before handing them over to the kids!

Beth - Yes ... me too!

Becky - I LOVE your story ... thank you for sharing! How fun ... that all the kids were entertained by the stories!

Katie ... that sounds like it must have been hilarious with that title ... and, I totally agree ... all I remember of school buses is the icky smell! :-)

Kelly H-Y said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keri Mikulski said...

Love Junie B. Jones. :) And so does my niece.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

i hope it comes to atlanta!

Kelly H-Y said...

Keri! I'm definitely in that category now too ... so fun when a children's book/character can appeal to both children AND adults!

Shelli! Oh, I hope so ... definitely check it out if it does!

lotusgirl said...

The play sounds like a lot of fun!

Cari Johnson said...

My son loves Junie B. Books! He's just now getting into what he calls "Boy Books", but he still regards Junie B. as acceptable...at least for now.

Em said...

My daughter is in the first grade and the very first chapter book she read and finished all by herself was Junie B., First Grader (at last). I was thrilled! Until I actually thumbed through one of the books myself, and then listened to my daughter read it aloud. Egats! The awful grammar that I was afraid it was embedding in my daughter's brain was enough to keep me up at night :)! Since then I've fallen back on an old favorite, Ramona!

Kelly H-Y said...

Em! Thanks for the heads-up ... I'll have to check that out as we begin reading the Junie books! I'll have to check out the Ramona books as well! Thanks for visiting!