Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

You're doing mighty fine for being 105!!

My son's first grade class is celebrating this very special birthday with a Dr. Seuss Day! Special crafts (yea!) ... writing their own Seuss-like stories (woohoo!) ... and, of course ... dressing-up in a Seuss-ish way! And, with that, we have the part where - as a parent - I think to myself ... 'oh dear ...'.

I could probably be classified as being fairly creative ... but only if a computer is involved. I pretty much enjoy creating anything using this technological wonder. But, challenge me with creating a costume or thinking up a fabulous craft, and I'm hopelessly lost and rather uninterested.

So, when I read the newsletter on Friday, suggesting the kids wear something special in honor of the rhyming wizard's birthday, I did my normal, "Eeeek!" But, then I was saved by a phone call.

See the adorable picture of Thing 1 and Thing 2? My son, Braden, is Thing 2. Thing 1 is his dear friend, Hadden. And, Hadden's mom just happens to be a teacher who - from all indications - is uber creative when it comes to costumes! Her message went something like this ... "Kelly ... I saw that it was Dr. Seuss day on Monday, and I was thinking Hadden and Braden could go as Thing 1 and Thing 2. We've already got two blue wigs, and I'll make the Thing 1 and Thing 2 signs for their shirts. Does Braden have a red shirt he can wear?"

"We do!!!" I exclaimed with glee to the message player! And so, it was settled ... and Thing 1 and Thing 2 looked absolutely adorable this morning! As did the rest of the class, dressed as Cat in the Hat and in all sorts of other shirts and hats that would make Dr. Seuss proud!

Thank you, Mr. Theodore Geisel (aka Dr. Seuss), for creating a reading phenomenon that continues to touch and influence the lives of so many children (and adults!) ... and, no doubt, will do so for many years to come! Happy Birthday!

12 comments:

lotusgirl said...

How cute! What a great friend! We love Dr. Seuss at our house. I'm thinking most people with kids do.

Unknown said...

SO SO CUTE!!!

Anonymous said...

Great costumes! They look great! I saw your comment on Corey's site and I had to rush on over to see it!

Anonymous said...

Darling! It is amazing how many lives Dr. Seuss has touched with his quirky, fun style of writing!

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, so cute! I might have to steal the photo for my blog!!!

Thom - - Dr. John said...

Great picture! and how great that the boys names rhyme too.

Kelly Polark said...

Adorable picture! I hope they enjoyed their Dr. Seuss day!

CC said...

Hurray!!!!!! Link up to my post from yesterday for fun. ;)

Kelly H-Y said...

LotusGirl - I know ... such a great friend! So great to have!

Beth - Thanks! The whole class looked adorable ... such a kick!

Tara - Thanks! Yes ... I immediately thought of Corey when we'd decided on Thing 1 and Thing 2! :-)

Meredith - That is so true ... such far-reaching impact is truly is amazing!

Corey! Oh, would the kids ever love that!!! :-)

Jeff - Thanks! Actually ... they don't rhyme ... Hadden's name is a short 'a' sound! But, oh my, the kids would love it if their names did rhyme! :-)

Kelly - Thanks! They most definitely did ... I can't wait to see the stories that were written!

CC - I LOVED your post from yesterday ... your adaptation of 'There's a Wocket in my Pocket' was awesome!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

What a cutie Thing 2 is! Braden looks pretty happy!

Cari Johnson said...

Like everyone else, we love Dr. Seuss. My son's first grade class did something similar without the costumes - Whew! I'm exactly like you when it comes to the creativity/computer/costume issue. Luckily for me, my neighbor loves to make costumes, so she helps me when I'm stuck!

Kelly H-Y said...

Rebecca ... yes, I think he did enjoy the whole blue-wig-wearing! In fact, when he got home from school, he asked - with a smile - that we refer to him as Thing 2 for the rest of the day! :-)

Cari! Too funny ... yes, we are alike! Thank goodness for that wonderful neighbor of yours!!! What a blessing!