Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Little Projects ...



Projects, sketches, and papers are always coming home with the kids from various places ... school, Sunday School, daycare, the gym, etc. Sometimes, it feels like we are drowning in little trinkets and half-finished art projects.

Other times, it feels like we've found a special treasure.

My son formed this bowl out of clay in Sunday school, and my daughter made the little heart during a children's choir practice break. They brought them home and each project went its separate way for a few days ... the bowl to dry, the heart to sit on the counter waiting to be 'mended' (two of the beads still need to be ironed back on!).

One evening, my daughter placed her heart in her brother's bowl and declared, "There! That's pretty!", and slid it into a place of prominence on the counter.

I have to agree ... it is pretty, and adds a simple splash of color and charm to the kitchen counter. So, this one will stay on display on the kitchen counter for a while. It makes me smile ... and who doesn't need to begin and end their day with a smile.
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

Very cute! I love the kids' projects and pictures. Some I save (each kid has a plastic bin in the basement), many I display for a while, then take a picture of it and then finally toss!

Kelly H-Y said...

I take pictures of them too, Kelly! Someday - when I have time (ha!!) - the plan is to put all the great pictures in an artwork photobook!

Jayne Leighty said...

That little stinker already has a fabulous sense of style!

Kelly H-Y said...

She does, doesn't she?!

Catherine Denton said...

She was right. It's pretty. And sweet. :)

CC said...

you've visited my home recently haven't you? We got one of these kits for Christmas and my daughter has been making those hearts as well! :)

Cathy C. Hall said...

Oh, you made me smile with a happy memory or two...my daughter made a heart like that long, long ago...and one of my sons made a pottery...something.

Still, it's on my desk. Whatever it is. :-)

Unspoken said...

I like it! It has a nice modern, but warm twist.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Very sweet! I have a wall in our hallway with art my daughter has done over the years. It makes me smile too. I put some of her pottery in shadow boxes and hung it on the wall too. :)

Unknown said...

Very pretty!

Anonymous said...

These gifts from the heart are the best!

ethelmaepotter! said...

Ah, the simple beauty of a child's gift to his mom.

I still have every little thing my children ever made - even though they may no longer be displayed, I wouldn't part with them for the world. Some have been re-purposed - the mantle clock my son made was replaced by a real clock and his clock now has a place of honor on the kitchen desk - my mother's day laminated placemat now serves as a waterproof mat for the cat's dinner bowl.

These little bits, no matter how humble, no matter how homely, are the stuff of memories.

Suzanne Casamento said...

Very pretty indeed! :)