Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Neighborly Love ...

We were the first house built in our subsection of the neighborhood ten years ago.

We had no idea who would be our neighbors.

We also had no idea what we needed in a house, given that it was the first for both of us after years of apartment living and we did not yet have children.

While we could use more space and maybe a bit more yard, our little house has served us well and we treasure it.

As for our neighbors … if we had it to do all over again and – this time around – knew about each of the families living in the homes surrounding ours … we would buy this house in a heartbeat.

Our neighbors are our friends; our children are all friends; we watch out for one another’s homes and families.

And, as if that weren’t enough ….

In the days leading up to Christmas, wonderful treats arrived on our doorstep … from a gorgeous poinsettia to scrumptious plates of beautifully-decorated cookies.

Around Halloween, our dear friend and neighbor was taking a cake-decorating course. And, brought over these amazing cupcakes which I didn’t even want to touch, for fear of ruining hours worth of work in one bite!


Before the craziness of the holidays even arrived, this lovely plate of gingersnaps was delivered ‘just because’ … and on a day when we REALLY needed it, given a homeowner’s nightmare scenario that concluded with us finding – under the house – both a leak in our main water line AND a dead possum being eaten by maggots {no joke … the smell was horrid!}.



Then, there was this little tea party … Hello Kitty-themed as you can see. Thrown for my daughter by a talented, former-professional-caterer neighbor who happens to be the only female in a house of boys. My daughter had lamented that she was sad that she never got to go to their house and play with the boys like her brother, so our neighbor kindly offered my daughter her very own tea party. Imagine my awe and my daughter’s squeals of delight when we walked in to find this waiting for us (not pictured ... a nice little spread for the boys too!) …


It is true … you can’t choose your neighbors. However, even if we could ... we would choose no differently.

Are you blessed with fabulous neighbors that you treasure?!

12 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

Awwww, you have such thoughtful neighbors!
We do have great neighbors, and I hope we have wonderful neighbors when we eventually do move. I'll be counting on them more since we won't be close to family anymore!

Hilary said...

Very nice. We're lucky to have a wonderful group too. Street parties, impromptu barbecues and backyard fires. It's wonderful to belong to a real neighbourhood. I'm glad it's the same for you.

Hardygirl said...

Oh how wonderful!!

How in the world do you reciprocate??

I love our neighbors, too. We're very lucky to live in an eclectic neighborhood. Lots of great characters!!

sf

Anonymous said...

Wow - lucky you having such wonderful neighbours!

Some of ours are wonderful, and the really good friends outgrew their house and moved away...

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Wow, what generous neighbors!
We're lucky too. On one side we have grandparents who have taken Sam as their own, and across the street we have a young family who share their fun with everybody. Good neighbors are such a treasure!

Susan R. Mills said...

Unfortunately, some of my neighbors are on the crazy side, and by crazy I mean needing mental medical help crazy.

What About The Girl? said...

Pls don't assume I am unfriendly....but I don't really know my neighbors... ;-)

It would be nice if all my friends move to my neighborhood. Then it would be a one big happy family!

:-)

Sarah Laurence said...

You are lucky to have such neighbors. So sweet. My daughter wanted a Hello Kitty party maybe 10 years ago, and I couldn’t find any plates in Maine so I ended up drawing my own for her. We have wonderful neighbors too. When we outgrew our tiny first house, we bought a bigger one across the street.

ManPreet Kaur said...

nice blog..
Please visit my blog.

Lyrics Mantra
Real Ghost and Paranormal

Stephanie Faris said...

I've always wanted to take a cake decorating class. I don't know if I should learn to make something so delicious, though!

Corey Schwartz said...

Wow, you are so lucky!

ethelmaepotter! said...

You live in one great neighborhood, and I'm sure your neighbors feel as lucky to have you as you do they.

We HAD great neighbors, but they went to Florida to look at a vacation home, and ended up moving there. The jury's still out on our new neighbor, but Fred absolutely HATES her dogs, which she lets run free.