Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers - Part I

It was early. Dewdrops balanced atop the grass blades, sparkling in the morning sun that would soon be heating up the aptly-named resort town.

“Are you going biking today?” my husband asked, as he quickly took a final inventory of his fishing gear. He and a friend, whom we were vacationing with, were embarking on a remote fly-fishing trip along the Deschutes River. They would be out-of-range and unreachable all day.

“Yes!” I could hardly wait. I was a fairly avid biker and was thrilled to be taking advantage of the 35 miles of paved biking trails weaving in and through Sun River, some of it along the Deschutes.

My dear friend was 8 months pregnant. We were staying in her aunt’s stunning vacation home. They had a relaxing walk planned for their morning.

I grabbed a bottle of water, stuffed my I.D., some cash, and a snack into my small bike pack, and attached them to my bike’s front frame. I was off!

Or, maybe not. I had a flat tire. I pumped it. It immediately went flat. It was the inner tube. Dejected, I returned to the house.

“No problem,” said my friend’s aunt, “just take my bike!”

I was both excited and hesitant to ride her gleaming, new bike. Really, though, why was I worrying? I had never been in a bike accident before.

Odd, the power of suggestion. Not that it was even a suggestion, really. More like a passing thought.

To be continued ...

16 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

Hmmmm, some foreshadowing... I hope she's wearing her bike helmet!
Looking forward to reading what happens next!

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh boy! Definitely sounds like foreshadowing to me! :)

Katie Ganshert said...

This is where I would pause and have my students make predictions. :) Can't wait to see the next installment.

lisa and laura said...

Uh oh...

Susan R. Mills said...

Yes, foreshadowing, definitely foreshadowing. Can't wait to read more!

Sherrie Petersen said...

How could you leave us hanging like that??!!

Yat-Yee said...

Uh-oh is definitely right. New bike. 8-month pregnant, unreachable help...

storyqueen said...

Don't leave us hanging too long!

Shelley

Suzanne Casamento said...

That's some build-up! More please!

Cathy C. Hall said...

Part Deux:

I hopped on that brand-new bike and took off down the road. Suddenly, from around the curve, walked my 8-month pregnant friend, her aunt, and an alien, licking an ice cream cone. Dang, that cone looked good!

Next!

(Now that I've read a few comments I think that YOU were going to continue this lovely story...um, never mind about that whole ice cream thing.)

Vivian Mahoney said...

Oh, no!

Anonymous said...

=You have roped me right in!

Sarah Laurence said...

Sounds like a fun vacation, at least I hope so.

Clementine said...

Looking forward to the rest!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

is this you or your character?

Kelly H-Y said...

Kelly - Definitely had the helmet on! Safety first! :-)

Corey - Yes ... and it was just too long to put in one post! :-)

Katie - Ooooh, good idea!

Lisa and Laura - You can say that again!

Lazy Writer - Definitely! :-)

Sherrie - Sorry! :-) It was too long for one post ... and - I admit - I didn't have time to finish the whole thing! :-)

Yat-Yee - Yep ... can't be a good combo!

Suzanne! You got it ... coming soon!

Cathy! You are too funny ... I love your version!! Especially the alien! :-)

Vivian! That's for sure!

Meredith! So great to see you back from summer vacation!!!!

Sarah - It certainly would have been! :-)

Amy! Thanks ... coming soon!

Shelli! Unfortunately ... it's a personal essay! :-)