Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Twelve Books of Christmas (at least in our house!) - Book 1

OK, we actually read this one year-round . . . it's just too good to pack away for 11 months of the year. If you read my July post regarding Karma Wilson and her 'Bear...' books, you'll know our family is a BIG fan. And, this is the very book that started the 'Bear...' craze in our household.

In "Bear Stays Up for Christmas", Bear's friends make a valiant effort to keep him awake for Christmas. Their efforts are successful ... but all that hard work keeping Bear awake makes Mouse, Hare, Badger, and the rest of the friends VERY tired. That's OK ... Bear's got them covered, and he works through the night to ensure a special Christmas for all of them.

The rhyming text is perfection, and the illustrations are so warm and cozy, it makes you want to snuggle up with Bear and his friends in his lair. It's targeted to 4-8 year olds, but the pictures, lively characters, and catchy rhymes make it perfect for younger children as well ... my 3-year old girl and 6-year old boy both love it to pieces.

If you're looking for a warm and fun holiday picture book classic for your family, "Bear Stays Up for Christmas" is guaranteed to please ... even when it's not the holidays!

3 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

It looks like a darling book! And I totally get not being able to pack it away for the year!

Serenity said...

Yay! I'm looking forward to this series of posts! LOVE the Bear books so much.

Kelly H-Y said...

Gottawrite Girl! I DON'T remember Frances ... I'm off to Google it right now! :-)

PJ! It is darling ... definitely not to be confined to a box in the garage!

Serenity! I am too ... because I'm never sure which one I'm going to pick each day (and I'm hoping we have 12!!) :-)