Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Golden Rule ... Kid-Style!

"Treat others the way you want to be treated."
"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."
The Golden Rule ... perfect for any and all occasions. And, so important to teach children. And, how do you do that in a fun way? Read to your children (or have them read to you!) one of my latest favorites ... Do Unto Otters - A Book About Manners, by Laurie Keller. I have to admit, this is the first book I've read by this particular author ... but I'm looking forward to reading others. This book is goofy, hilarious, filled with perfect puns (that the adults will enjoy even more than the kids!), and purposeful ... all wrapped up in one little book that's a kick to read.

The premise of the book? Mr. Rabbit comes home one day to find that new neighbors have moved in next door ... otters! He doesn't know anything about otters ... what if he doesn't get along with them? And, so he learns - from a little bird-like creature dressed in plaid pants and a bow tie - about the golden rule ... "Do unto otters as you would have otters do unto you." Mr. Rabbit's imagination takes over from there, as he envisions all the ways in which he would want to be treated by otters. It's brilliant.

I believe it's targeted at the age 4-8 set ... with which I would agree. My 3-year old liked the pictures, but much of the humor was lost on her. My 6-year old son got a kick out of it ... and, I suspect, within the next year he will 'get' even more of the subtle humor that is woven through the story line.

Do unto others ... or otters ... a perfect rule to live by, a perfect book to enjoy with children!

2 comments:

Serenity said...

Hi, I just found your blog through Karma Wilson's site (where you had commented previously), and I feel I've found a treasure. I'm on the long, slow path to publication as well, so I immediately empathized with your journey. I wish you the best of luck on it.

Kelly H-Y said...

Thank you, Serenity, for your kind words! Good luck to you as well ... it is certainly a long, slow path ... but, we'll get there! I'll be checking out your blog as well!